
Graydon Johs Pace
March 21, 2011
10:04 AM
7lbs 3oz
19.5"
My due date was March 26th, but my doctor decided she would induce me on March 21. For the whole week or two before I thought for sure my water would break at any second. So I've my hospital bags all packed and ready to go for about a month anticipating this. Also my Dr. and Anne Marie (mother-in-law) were out of town for the whole week before my induction, so I thought for sure it would happen then.
Sunday the 20 rolls around, we came home from Sunday dinner and I got the dishes done, and laundry folded and straightened some other things. Said my goodbyes to the kids when I put them to bed (cried with Tucker...he is the sweetest boy!!) And was all ready to go.
Daniel was downstairs playing the Xbox, his new favorite hobby, and I was laying on our bed watching a show. Suddenly my water broke, at 11:40 PM and I jumped up so fast to run to the bathroom (luckily grabbing my cell phone) because as many of you know, when my water breaks...it goes everywhere!! This time was no different. Every thing was soaked in a matter of seconds. I called our home phone 4 times, before Daniel "found" it and answered it. :) Good thing I had my cell phone because he was in the middle of his best game yet, and it could have been a hours before he came up the stairs to find me. :)
Then we called Anne Marie who quickly got dressed and came over. She stayed the night with the kids while we headed to the hospital.
We got to the hospital about 12:10 AM. They got us into our room, and I had the IV of pitocin started by 1:15 AM and got my epidural about 2:00 AM. Things were moving along very quickly which was nice.
The baby's heart beat was dropping when they had moved the pitocin up to 5, so they brought it back down and continued to put me in a series of uncomfortable positions to make the baby more comfortable. This was fine, cause I my legs were starting to numb up nicely, so soon i wouldn't be so uncomfortable, right? Wrong!!! Starting about 4:30 AM my hip and leg that I was laying on started to hurt more and more and I was hoping a nurse would come in very soon. Finely at 5:00, she did, and I told her I was uncomfortable, and so she rolled me to the other side. After she left, I realized I was starting to feel contractions. I felt every contraction, and started to gain all feeling back in my legs, until another nurse came in at 6:00. I was pushing the epidural button like crazy, cause I could no longer see the clock to just do it every 20 minutes. I told the nurse I had all feeling back and that I was feeling the contractions, and asked if the machine was even on. She looked closely and realized it wasn't, and went to get the anithesiologist.
Turns out he had not plugged in and programed the machine which gives you a continuous drip. So all I had was the starter dose, which had worn off. He got it all set up, and soon I was numb again and ready to go.
By 7:00 AM I was dilated to a 5 and progressing quickly. Anne Marie had just shown up, and Annalisa was now at home with the kids.
I think at 9:15ish, I was dilated to a 10 and the baby had dropped (which has not happened with my last two). My doctor came in by about 9:30 AM. And at 10:04AM Graydon was born.
His middle name is Johs (pronounced "yoos") This is after Daniel's Grandpa John Langeland, who is from Norway. His name was Johannas, and after moving to the states, changed it to John. His wife, Edna, still always called him Johs, which is just short for Johannas. I've heard lots of stories that include Edna calling out "Johs" over the years, and so in memory of Grandpa Langeland who died this last July, we decided on Johs for the middle name.












6 comments:
Congratulations!! Graydon looks beautiful and I love the tribute to Grandpa John. Hope all of you are doing well.
P.S.- Sophia had that same reation to Cefdinir. Crazy!
Congrats!!! I am so excited for you! He is adorable, I was wondering how to pronounce his middle, so thanks for clearing that up! We should skype so I can see that boy!
Congratulations! I am glad that you and Graydon are doing well. Sorry about the epidural. No fun! What a beautiful family!
Wonderful! Congratulations! Graydon is just perfect...good job mama!
Graydon is a mini Tucker....so cute! So sorry about the epidural...was Daniel the one telling you NOT TO DISTURB THE NURSES? I would have had a nurse back in there so fast....I love you and am so happy for you! Can't wait to meet him! Congrats!
Aw, how wonderful! He's precious, Julie. What a gorgeous family you have.
Post a Comment