Thursday, November 4, 2010

To Nora Jane

As many of you know, my Nora Jane was named after my Great Grandma, Nora Jane Krous. I came across the name, before Daniel and I were even thinking of kids, when I was curious as to where my Mom got the middle name Nora. I went to the familysearch.org website and went through my family tree, until I found Nora Jane Krous (McNabb). She is my mom's paternal Grandma. I immediately knew I wanted to use this name for a little girl, and came home from work to tell Daniel about it. I was excited when his response was, "We should name our little girl that".

Nora Jane (Krous) McNabb
(My Great Grandma)

Billie (McNabb) Miller, Burl McNabb (my Grandpa), Nora Jane (Krous) McNabb,

3 other McNabb Children


Fast forward to August of 2008. My Nora Jane was just 4 months old, and we traveled up to Inkom, Idaho, to my Uncle John's farm for our annual McNabb Family Reunion. My Mom's Aunt Bille (the last living one of my grandpa's siblings) was at the reunion. She had heard what I had named our baby girl, and was looking forward to meeting her. While she was holding Nora Jane, she relayed the story to me and my Mom about when she was pregnant with her first child. She had told her mom (Nora Jane Krous McNabb) that if it was a girl, she planned to name her Nora Jane. So my great-grandma, mailed her a card, "To Nora Jane" with $5.00 in it. Well for whatever reason, Billie didn't end up naming her daughter that, and ended up not having any more girls, to be able to use the name. However, she had kept the card all those years.

My Mother suggested that she should send it to me, to give to this Nora Jane.
Nora Jane Pace, Aunt Billie (McNabb) Miller
August 2008



Just this week, My Mom's sister (Martha Reddish) called to drop by my house. She had just been visiting her children in California, and stopped to visit Aunt Billie. Billie gave her this card, with $20 in it and asked her to give it to me.

Now I will have this sweet card to give to my Nora Jane, that was originally from my great-grandma, who she's named after.

I am so grateful my Aunt Billie, kept it all this years...and was so kind to pass it on to me.

4 comments:

rachel said...

That is so great, I love it... now all your cousins are jealous!

Chris and Annalisa said...

How cute, I love it!!

Erin Felsheim said...

I love this story. Names are a great way to feel connected to our families/ancestors.

Goddard Family said...

What a sweet story..I love Nora Janes name and I love her mom even more!